Another replacement Samsung Galaxy Note 7 has reportedly caught fire in Minnesota. The news comes just days after a replacement Note 7 caught fire on a Southwest flight in Kentucky (seen in the picture above), and all four major US cell carriers told customers they could exchange all Note 7 phones, replacement or not.
The Minnesota case involves 13-year old Abby Zuis, who said she felt a “weird, burning sensation” while holding her Note 7 on Friday according to a report from KSTP. After the incident, the phone had burn marks similar to those seen on other Note 7 devices and it melted a cover that was on the phone.
“We want to reassure our customers that we take every report seriously and we are engaged with the Zuis family to ensure we are doing everything we can for them and their daughter,” said a Samsung spokesperson in a statement to The Verge. “Customer safety remains our highest priority as we are investigating the matter.”
KSTP news reported that the US Consumer Product Safety Commission was investigating the incident as well. The CPSC said it was “moving expeditiously” to investigate the fire in Kentucky earlier this week.
Though observers have suggested Samsung should stop selling the Note 7 altogether after the Kentucky fire, the fact that another replacement phone apparently caught fire just days later will only intensify those calls.
Update 8:43PM ET: Added comment from Samsung.